Sunday, July 24, 2005

Nesting

Mama bird dive-bombs me
pecks my scalp and teases my hair
as though to carry it off for nesting.

I knock her away.
She nips my hand enough to draw blood
enough to move me inside.

If someone threatens my baby
I too draw blood.

Tattooed my drunk ex
with a kitchen knife
for hitting my boy
one too many times.

Something cracked in me.
I heard branches snap in an ice storm
as I shoved that blade into his shoulder
dragged it down his back.

His scream white noise
white like the calloused knuckles
that pummeled me and my boy.

2 comments:

Pris said...

Hi Cella
I found your blog and thanks for commenting on mine! YOu've got some really nice work up here. I'll come back and visit again for sure and will add your blog to my links list. That'll bring more visitors over, too.
Pris

r said...

Is this new? Well done. subtle language makes it more deadly and serious.

I emailed you with the directions.